Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Patience

Patience is a good lesson in gardening. Around the end of may I was debating pulling out a plant that I thought was never going to bloom outside.

The result:










Sometimes you just have to wait awhile!

It seems Jennifer also learned this lesson. Last year we planted some stuff out back including some lettuce. We grew some leafs that did not look like much. This year the those leafs came back and did much of noting. We were getting ready to reuse the container when I noticed a sprout. We decided to let it grow a little longer.

The result was not lettuce but a BEAUTIFUL FLOWER.














We did not even remember planting this! I can hear Axl Rose singing "Patience" in the back of my head every time I look at this beauty.


UPDATE!

We found about these plants on our trip to the Conservatory of Flowers.
It seems they grow leafs the first year and then flower the next. I guess this is a lesson in remembering to mark what you plant! But then again it made a wonderful surprise.